Goal update in category Outdoor · 14 hours, 48 minutes ago
1. 7/18/14: I have a list of about 150 hikes in So. Cal. Since I put in a lot of miles walking, I want to get our of my own neighborhood. For a lot of them, I would need a hiking buddy, but some of the shorter and more local hikes are just a nice change of scenery. Today, I stayed in Fullerton and walked to Bud Turner Trail for about 4 miles. It is simple and, frankly, unexciting, but now I know.
2. 6/8/15: Today, Taylor, Devin, Bailey & I set out to hike in Griffith Park. Our goal was to hike to the Hollywood Sign. I had heard that it is actually kind of hard to find...not that you can ever get right up to the sign, but I know there's a way to get close. Unfortunately, the trails are poorly marked and we didn't get too close. It was very hot and we left on the only obvious trail out of the Griffith Observatory. All of the online sites direct to this starting point, but from there, it was pretty unclear. Temperatures were so moderate all weekend...until today. The hike was about 4 miles total. There were some great views of Los Angeles. It's getting harder and harder to get all three girls in one place in one time, so this was a great opportunity. The drive up was fun (lots of music) but took longer than I had hoped. That meant less time to explore. Surprisingly, Bailey had the hardest time with the hike, as she becomes overheated so easily.There is so much more to hike in Griffith Park, but I would want better direction in the future.
3. 1/9/16: For some reason, I had never hiked the trails right behind our neighborhood. Not difficult at all and only about 1 1/2 miles each way. Taylor went with me. Casual pace and nice. Since I usually walk at night, I never felt it was safe to do, but we did it during daytime hours today.
4. Joshua Tree National Park, Lost Horse Loop Trail. Was about 6.2 miles. Taylor, Devin, Thomas and me. (Bailey was sick.) We had fun. Weather was perfect. Trail was difficult.
5. 7/24/16: Did a short hike with Taylor, Devin, & Bailey on Anacapa Island in the Channel Islands.
6. Red Rock Canyon. South Orange County. 4.2 miles. Did it alone on 10/9/16. Good trail.
7. Echo Mountain, Altadena. 3207 ft., between 5-6 miles. I went by myself. It was a good climb. Great views of Los Angeles at the top and the ruins of an old railway and burned down hotel that existed there in the early 1900s. The hike alone is worth it, but all there is to see at the top make it even better.
8. Crystal Cove State Park. 5 miles with Bailey on 11/11/16.
9. Carbon Canyon Regional Park. 3 miles. Flat, very easy. Solo on 11/12/16.
10. Hiltscher Park Trail via Juanita Cook Trail, Fullerton. 3 miles. Flat, easy, rainy day substitute. Solo on 11/27/16.
11. Craig Regional Park. 2 miles, solo on 12/2/16. Nothing interesting about this one.
12. San Juan Loop Trail, Cleveland National Forest. 3 miles solo on 12/18/16
13. Sitton Peak, Lake Elsinore, Cleveland National Forest. About 10 miles, elevation gain of about 2150. Solo. The last 1/2 mile is steep, difficult. Great views though. I started too late in the day. Had to finish in the dark.
14. Fullerton Arboretum. 1/29/17. 2 miles, flat.
15. Potato Chip Rock, Mt. Woodson Peak, Poway. 2300 ft. 7.5 miles. 2/11/17 with Taylor
16. Etiwanda Trail to Etiwanda Falls. 1300 ft., 3.5 miles. Solo on 2/12/17
17. Mt. Wilson, with Off Grid Hiking Group. 5700 ft gain, total hiking 18 miles, including Sturtevant Falls. 2/25/17.
18. Black Star Canyon Trail to the falls. 3/11/17. Solo. Total 8-9 miles, with a slight gain (1000 ft.). Lots of boulder-climbing and stream crossings. Great hike, need sure footing to do it.
19. Walker Canyon, Lake Elsinore. 4/13/17. With Danielle. 4.5 miles. Slight gain.
20. Aliso Creek Trail. 4/16/17. Solo. 3 miles. Flat & not that interesting.
21. Bell Canyon Loop Trail, Caspers Wilderness Park. Solo, 4 miles. Could get lost in here. Got a little nervous at one point.
22. Eaton Canyon Trail to the Waterfall. In Altadena. Solo, 3.5 miles on 6/25/17. Pretty easy hike, but it was pretty hot.
23. Griffith Park With Bree, about 3-4 miles. Done at sunset and still hot! 6/26/17.
24. Mt. Rubidoux. Solo 3.5 miles on 7/1/17. Beautiful weather. Great hike.
25. Warner Springs section of the PCT. Solo 7 miles, after dropping Bailey off for camp. So cool to be on the PCT. 7/2/17.
26. Peter's Canyon, Orange. 2.5-3 miles solo on 7/8/17.
27. Hike Escondido Falls. with Bree, 4 miles on 7/9/17. A small waterfall, not dry, but trickling.
28. Monument Hill at the Santa Rosa Ecological Preserve. Solo, 5 miles on 7/21/17.
28. Blue Ridge Trail, San Gabriel Mountains. Solo 5 miles on 7/16/17.
29. Unmarked Trail near Skyline/Sierra Peak. Very steep, hard work-out, 100 degrees. Solo 4 miles on 7/22/17.
30. Mount Hollywood. 4.5 miles, 1625 ft. Solo on 8/6/17.
31. Sandstone Peak, Santa Monica Mountains. 7 miles. 3111 ft elevation, 1650 gain. Solo on 8/18/17.
32. Tongza Peak, Verdugo Mountains. 7 miles, 2656 elevation, 1425 gain. Solo on 8/20/17.
33. San Gabriel/Azusa Bike Trail. 2.5 miles. Solo on 9/10/17.
34. Gabrielino Trail. 5 miles. Solo on 10/15/17
35. Strawberry Peak. 8 miles, 6164 ft. Solo on 1/14/18.
35. Mount Disappoinment and San Gabriel Peak. 6 miles solo on 10/29/17
36. Mount Baden-Powell 9711' 9 miles. Solo on 2/4/18.
37. Sunset Peak 4/8/18 6 miles
38. Jones Peak 4/15/18. With Sharon. 3375 ft. 6.7 miles.
39. Potato Mountain 4/22/18. With Bree. 4.5 miles 1141 elevation gain. 3400 ft.
40. Mt. Islip. Solo on 5/6/18. 8250 ft. 7 miles. 1627 elevation gain
41. Cucamonga Peak. Solo on 6/17/18. 12 miles. 4300 elevation gain to 8859 ft.
42. Mount Baldy. With Melissa Casteneda on 7/1/18. 4700 ft. gain, 15 miles
43. Iron Mountain, San Diego 11/18
44. Chino Hills State Park, 11/18
45. Bridge to Nowhere 12/16/18
Goal update in category Hiking · 14 hours, 57 minutes ago
I started the challenge on October 9, 2016, so plan to complete by October 9, 2017. I don't plan to count my extensive walks around town, and plan to only count hikes that are a minimum of 2 miles. In addition, I will incorporate:
- 5 Waterfalls (even if they are dry)
- 1 Forest (if not possible, go to National Park/ Site)
- 1 National Parks, Monuments, Preserves, Recreation Area or Historic Trail
- 2 Hikes to bodies of water: Lakes, Rivers, or Ocean
- 1 Stewardship hike (pick up trash or join group to help with a restoration project)
- 1 Group hike (if you are regular to one group, visit a new group to meet new people)
- 1 Introduce someone new to hiking (on an easy trail)
- 1 Hike from your Bucket list (somewhere you have always wanted to go)
- 3 Reflection hikes (journal at the beginning, middle, and towards the end of your challenge).
1. Red Rock Canyon, Lake Forest area, 4.2 miles. Completed solo 10/9/16.
2. Echo Mountain, Altadena, CA. 5-6 miles, 3207 ft. Ruins of an old hotel and railway at the summit. Great views of Los Angeles. Completed solo 10/16/16.
3. Pinehead Peak Trail, Caspers Wilderness Park. 2.5 miles, 662 ft. Completed solo in lots of rain on 10/23/16.
4. Table Rock, Boise, ID. 3 miles, 3600 ft. Completed with Bailey on 10/29/16.
5. Crystal Cove, Laguna Beach. 5 miles, 990 ft. Completed with Bailey on 11/11/16.
6. Carbon Canyon Regional Park. 3 miles. Solo on 11/12/16.
7. Juanita Cook Trail to Hiltscher Park Trail, Fullerton. It was a rainy day substitute for something more ambitious. 3 miles. Solo on 11/27/16.
8. Craig Regional Park. 2 miles, solo on 12/2/16. This is right in my backyard so it makes sense to have hiked around this park a bit. But I won't ever do it again. It's just a park, located in suburbia, without much upside as far as hiking goes.
9. San Juan Loop Trail, Trabuco Canyon. 3 miles solo, 12/18/16. Meh
10. Fullerton Loop. 4 miles, solo, 12/25/16.
11. Sitton Peak, Cleveland National Forest (meets the forest criteria of the challenge). Completed 1/8/17.
12. Fullerton Arboretum. 1/29/17. 2 miles or so. Limited on time. Stayed local.
13. Woodson Peak, Potato Chip Rock. 2/11/17. 7.5 miles. 2300 ft. Hiked with Taylor. (Bucketlist hike)
14. Etiwanda Falls. 2/12/17. Solo. 1300 ft. gain. 3.5 miles. VERY windy. (Waterfall hike)
15. Mt Wilson. 2/25/17. Went with Off-Grid Hikers, 5700 Ft. elevation gain. Hiked 18 miles in total, including a stop at Sturtevant Falls. (Group hike, waterfall, bucketlist).
16. Black Star Canyon Trail. 3/11/17. 1013 ft. gain. Just shy of 9 miles today. Solo. Lots of boulder-climbing and stream crossings. Good hike. (Waterfall hike.)
17. Walker Canyon. With Danielle. 4/13/17. 4.5 miles. Slight gain.
18. Aliso Creek Trail in Aliso Viejo. Solo on 4/16/17. 3 miles. Flat and not super interesting.
19. Bell Canyon Loop, Caspers Wilderness Park. Solo on 5/28/17. 4 miles.
20. Fullerton Loop. 2 miles. Solo on 5/29/17.
21. Eaton Canyon Trail. 3.5 miles. Solo on 6/25/17. (Waterfall hike)
22. Griffith Park at Sunset. 3.5 miles with Bree on 6/26/17
23. Mt. Rubidoux. Riverside. 3.5 miles solo. Great weather. 7/1/17.
24. Eagle Rock near Warner Springs, San Diego County. 7 miles on the PCT!! Being on the PCT was exciting. Went after dropping Bailey off at Camp Marston. 7/2/17.
25. Peter's Canyon. Solo for 2.5-3 miles on 7/8/17.
26. Escondido Falls. With Bree, 4 miles on 7/9/17.
27. Blue Ridge Trail, San Bernardino Mountains. Solo 5 miles on 7/1/6/17.
28. Monument Hill at the Santa Rosa Ecological Prserve. Solo 5 miles on 7/21/17.
29. Unmarked trail near Skyline in Corona. 4 miles out & back, very STEEP. It was 100 degrees and I needed poles. But I did it solo, 7/22/17.
30. Mount Hollywood, solo, 1625 ft. about 5 miles. 8/6/17.
31. Urban Hike in San Francisco, 8 miles with Bailey. Through most of the pier area. 8/11/17.
32. Urban Hike in San Francisco, 8 miles with Bailey. Chinatown, The Castro, Mission District, 8/12/17.
33. Sandstone Peak, Santa Monica Mountains. 7 miles solo. 3111 ft. elevation; 1650 gain. Amazing views! 8/18/17
34. Tongza Peak, Verdugo Mountains. About 7 miles, solo. 2656 ft elevation, 1425 gain. 8/20/17.
35. San Gabriel Bicycle Trail. 2.5 miles solo. 9/10/17.
36. Gabrielino Trail. 5 miles solo. 10/15/17
37. Mount Disappointment and San Gabriel Peak 6 miles solo. 10/29/17.
38. Strawberry Peak. 8 miles, 6164'. 1/14/18.
39. Mount Baden-Powell 9 miles 9711' 2/4/18
40. Sunset Peak 4/8/18
41. Jones Peak 4/15/18
42. Potato Mountain 4/22/18
43. Mount Islip 5/6/18
44. Cucamonga Peak 6/17/18
45. Mount Baldy 7/1/18
46. Sitton Peak 8/18
47. Echo Mountain 10/18
48. Chino Hills State Park 11/18
49. Fullerton Loop 12/15/18
50. Bridge to Nowhere 12/16/18
Goal update in category Outdoor · 1 day, 4 hours agoAlcatraz Island, San Francisco, CA, USA
269. Escape from Alcatraz, San Francisco, California; USA
Monthly Alcatraz swims are incredibly popular and are a great way to make this epic crossing with a small friendly group and without the pressure of competition. Enjoy all this swim has to offer without sweating the clock, make new friends, and enjoy a casual morning out in the bay!
Goal update in category Travel · 1 day, 7 hours agoParis, Frankrijk
Goal update in category Entertainment · 1 day, 8 hours ago
- Finding Neverland (2004)
- X-men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
- Closer (2004)
- Logan: The Wolverine (2017)
- Kong: Skull Island (2017)
- Blood Diamond (2006)
- The Princess Bride (1987)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
- Your Name (2017)
- Singin' in the Rain (1952)
- Wonder Woman (2017)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
- The Matrix (1999)
- Spider-man: Homecoming (2017)
- This Beautiful Fantastic (2016)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014)
- The Mummy (2017)
- Corpse Bride (2005)
- Dunkirk (2017)
- Pride & Prejudice (2005)
- Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
- Back To the Future (1985)
- Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
- The Big Sick (2017)
- No Country for Old Men (2007)
- The Accidental Husband (2008)
- Bad Moms (2017)
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
- Justice League (2017)
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (2015)
- Elf (2003)
- Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016)
- Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
- Donnie Darko (2001)
- The BFG (2016)
- Black Panther (2018)
- Léon: The Professional (1994)
- Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)
- Ready Player One (2018)
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
- Deadpool 2 (2018)
- Keeping Up with the Joneses (2016)
- Annihilation (2018)
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)
- Young Victoria (2009)
- Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
- Wild Child (2008)
- The Intouchables (2011)
- Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
- 101 Dalmatians (1961)
- Pocahontas (1995)
- Toy Story (1995)
- Mary Poppins (1964)
- Poseidon (2006)
- Evil Dead (2013)
- Coco (2017)
- My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
- Akira (1988)
- A Star is Born (2018)
- Alpha (2018)
- BlacKkKlansman (2018)
- Johnny English Strikes Again (2018)
- The Terminal (2004)
- Laws of Attraction (2004)
- Christopher Robin (2018)
- The First Purge (2018)
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelward (2018)
- Crazy Rich Asians (2018)
- The Purge (2013)
- Hard Candy (2005)
- Searching (2018)
- Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
- A Dog's Purpose (2017)
- The Incredibles 2 (2018)
- The Equalizer (2014)
- The Greatest Showman (2017)
- Tarzan (1999)
- Up (2009)
- Creed (2015)
- The Princess Switch (2018)